Millburn-Short Hills Special Education Committee

Transition Services

As your child gets older and nears age 16, the IEP team— including your child—will consider many questions about his or her future after high school. What will your young adult do? Will he or she go to college or a technical school? Will he or she work? In what kind of job? What appeals to your child? What kind of preparation, knowledge, or skills will be needed? What kind of supports? Will he or she live independently or continue to live at home? Will you need help from other agencies to carry out these plans?

Answering these questions is called transition planning. By the time your child is 16 years old, the IEP must describe the transition services needed to help him or her move from high school to life as an adult in the community. The IEP team can also decide to start transition planning with your child at a younger age, if the IEP team considers it appropriate. The transition plan must then be updated every year and specify:

• Measurable postsecondary goals for your child related
   to training, education, employment, and (where appropriate)
   independent living skills

• The transition services needed (including what your child will study)
   to help your child reach those goals.

Consider the range below of postsecondary possibilities for your child and determine which are appropriate, given your child’s interests and preferences, skills and experience, and need for accommodations or supports:

• Post Secondary education
  (such as a 2-year or 4-year college or business school)

• Vocational education (to prepare for working in computers,
   auto mechanics, or hotels/restaurants, for example)

Integrated employment (including supported employment)

Continuing and adult education (such as classes offered by
   your community adult education office or department of recreation)

• Adult services (such as a day program or group home)

Independent living

• Participating in the community

Whenever the team is going to talk about transition, your child must be invited to the meeting. Services must be based on your child’s needs, taking into account his or her skills, preferences, and interests.

Services Can Include:

Instruction, related services, community experiences, developing employment and other adult living objectives, and (if appropriate) daily living skills and giving your child a functional vocational evaluation.